If your budget allows something a little nicer than a mainstream-brand compact SUV, but you still get sticker shock from SUVs from luxury brands, then the 2021 Buick Envision may be just right. Straddling the line between mainstream and luxury, the Envision is an upscale SUV priced in a way that makes it attainable for a wide range of buyers.
Apart from its engine, everything about the 5-passenger Envision is new for 2021. This compact luxury SUV is about the same length as before. Still, it’s wider and has a wheelbase that has grown slightly, so it fits four adults comfortably, with possibly a small child in the middle back seat. The quality of the materials is excellent, as is the overall fit and finish.
Three 2021 Envision trim levels are available: Preferred, Essence, and the topline Avenir. In Preferred trim, the Envision has a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) in Canadian dollars starting at $36,198 with front-wheel-drive (FWD). Add $2,400 for optional all-wheel-drive (AWD). The AWD mid-level Essence trim starts at $39,898, while pricing for the AWD Avenir begins at $44,898.
All 2021 Envisions are powered by a turbocharged 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engine with 230 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The one transmission available is a 9-speed automatic. Combined city and highway economy estimates range from 8.9 litres per 100 kilometres for the FWD versions to 9.5 for the AWD iterations.
While the top-line Envision Avenir’s price is creeping into Buick Enclave territory (starting at $48,398), the new Envision feels every bit as refined as its larger, 3-row midsize SUV sibling. Indeed, it impresses us in multiple ways, primarily in the solidity of its chassis, its abundant luxury features, and in the overall refinement of its turbocharged 4-cylinder powertrain.
General Motors' Buick continues to place a big emphasis on luxury, so the Envision competes with American luxury-brand SUVs, such as the Lincoln Corsair and Cadillac XT5, plus rivals as varied as the Acura RDX, Genesis GV70, and Infiniti QX50.
To help you decide which 2021 Envision is suitable for you, here's a breakdown of the Buick compact SUV's trim levels and the associated equipment and features:
2021 Buick Envision FWD Preference - Starting MSRP $36,198
Key standard features include:
- 2.0-litre turbocharged 4-cyinder engine
- 9-speed automatic transmission
- Quiet Tuning technology with Active Noise Cancellation
- In-Vehicle Air Ionizer with air quality indicator
- Hands-free programmable power liftgate with LED logo projection
- Buick Driver Confidence Plus
- 10-inch diagonal Buick Infotainment System
- Wireless Apple CarPlay/Android AutoTM compatibility
2021 Buick Envision AWD Preference - Starting MSRP $38,598
Key FWD Preference standard features plus:
2021 Buick Envision AWD Essence - Starting MSRP $39,898
Key AWD Preference standard features plus:
- 18-inch machined aluminum wheels with Charcoal Metallic pockets
- 8-inch diagonal multi-colour Driver Information Centre
- Memory settings for driver seat and exterior rear-view mirror
- Heated rear outboard seating positions
2021 Buick Envision AWD Avenir - Starting MSRP $44,989
Key AWD Essence standard features plus:
- 20-inch aluminum wheels with Pearl Nickel finish
- Panoramic moonroof
- Ventilated front seats
- Head-up Display
- Wireless charging
- HD Surround Vision
- Front Park Assist
- 10-inch diagonal Buick Infotainment System with Navigation