What Is the 2022 Genesis G80?
Now in its second generation, which debuted last year, the 2022 Genesis G80 mid-size luxury sedan has moved beyond its original value-for-money approach to become a convincing premium car. A spacious and well-appointed cabin is complemented by many standard safety features, turbocharged engines, and the availability of all-wheel drive—for confidence in slippery conditions and optimum grip in the dry. Yet the Genesis still represents a good value.
How Much Does the Genesis G80 Cost?
Although other markets offer a rear-wheel drive version as an entry trim, all Canadian-market 2022 G80s come with all-wheel drive standard. The decisions start with which turbocharged gas engine you want to power your Genesis luxury sedan.
The base G80 2.5T Advanced trim’s Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $66,500 in Canadian dollars is powered by a four-cylinder. An extensive list of standard equipment comes along with that price, including a panoramic sunroof, Lexicon premium audio system, leather seating, heated steering wheel, heated seats for front and back passengers (ventilated in the front), a full suite of safety technology, and details like wireless phone charging and a power trunk lid.
As its name implies, the mid-level G80 3.5T Sport adds a larger, 6-cylinder engine, accompanied by electronic suspension, sports seats, and larger wheels. Its price starts at $73,500.
The top-line $80,000 Genesis G80 3.5T Sport Plus piles on the luxury and sports goodies. Highlights include a digital instrument cluster, Nappa leather seating, 16-way driver's seat, rear-wheel steering, Sport+ Drive mode and launch control, and additional driver-assist features.
All 2022 G80s get Genesis Canada's generous 5-year/100,000-kilometre limited factory warranty.
What Are the G80’s Power and Fuel Economy Ratings?
It’s acceptable for a mid-size luxury sedan to have a 4-cylinder engine these days, thanks to the popularity of turbochargers that maximize power without incurring a significant penalty in fuel economy. As its badge suggests, the G80 2.5T gets a 2.5-litre unit (half a litre bigger than the base engines in German rivals), making 300 horsepower and 311 lb-ft of torque.
The more muscular 3.5T Sport trim gets a twin-turbocharged 3.5-litre V6 developing 375 hp and 391 lb-ft. Both engines use an 8-speed automatic transmission, require premium gasoline, have a stop/restart function when idling, and score respective city/highway combined estimates of 9.5 litres per 100 kilometres and 12.6.
What’s the Genesis’ Interior Like?
Even the simulated leather seating surfaces in the entry-level 2.5T Advanced trim look and feel pretty good. Along with the soft-touch plastics, quiet cabin, technology, and well-considered dashboard design, the 2022 G80 has the right luxury qualifications.
The standard central touchscreen measures 14.5 inches on the diagonal, which is one of the larger examples of its kind. The infotainment system can also be controlled by voice commands. An 8-in instrument LCD cluster with analog gauges is standard, but the 3.5T has the option of a 12.3-in all-digital version with graphics simulating a three-dimensional look.
The 3.5T Ergo Seat driver’s seat is a new addition, with seven interior air cells providing optimum comfort and support. Regarding comfort, rear passengers have more legroom than any German competitor.
Trunk space of 371 litres matches the Mercedes-Benz E-Class but is not quite as good as the Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series.
What Are Some of the Genesis Luxury Sedan’s Best Features?
REMOTE SMART PARKING: Drivers can be outside their new G80 and let the car inch into a parking space (parallel or perpendicular) automatically just by pressing a button on the key fob. Or they can do it all from the comfort of their car seat.
LEXICON SURROUND-SOUND SYSTEM: - Among the 21 speakers in this 1,050-watt set are two subwoofers, one under each front seat. So occupants can feel the bass as well as hear it. But Lexicon is a well-respected name in recording studios where any kind of music is being made. Give it a good listen before finalizing the deal. You’ll probably want it.
What’s the 2022 Genesis G80’s Competition?
With many buyers abandoning luxury sedans for SUVs and trucks, there are only a handful of rivals the Genesis needs to deal with.
In addition to the established German-branded Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the Cadillac CT-5 is also one of the few remaining rivals you may also want to consider.
To help you decide which trim level is just right for you, here's a breakdown of the 2022 Genesis G80's prices, features, and equipment:
2022 Genesis G80 2.5T Advanced - Starting MSRP $66,500 CAD
Key standard 2.5T Advanced features include:
- 2.5L turbocharged inline 4-cylinder engine
- All-wheel drive
- 19-in aluminum alloy wheels
- Panoramic sunroof
- 14.5-in touch-screen navigation system
- 8.0-in LCD instrument display cluster
- 21-speaker Lexicon premium audio system
- Forward Collision Avoidance-Assist w/Pedestrian & Cyclist detection, Smart Cruise Control, Lane Follow Assist and Lane Keep Assist, Highway Driving Assist, Parking Distance Warning (front & rear)
- Full LED Quad Headlights with Daytime Running Lights and High Beam Assist
- Leather seating w/quilting/ aluminium trim
- Heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, ventilated front seats
- Surround View Monitor/Blind spot view monitor
- Blind-Spot View Monitor
- Head Up Display
- Wireless phone charging, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- Power trunk lid/proximity-activated opening
- Genesis Connected Services
2022 Genesis G80 3.5T Sport - Starting MSRP $73,500 CAD
Includes all 2.5T Advanced features, plus:
- 3.5L twin-turbocharged V6 engine
- Sport-tuned Electronic Control Suspension/Road Preview
- 20-in aluminum alloy wheels
- Sport leather seating
- Leatherette-wrapped upper center console
- Aluminum pedals
- Rear Laminated Window Glass
2022 Genesis G80 3.5T Sport Plus - Starting MSRP $80,000 CAD
Includes all 3.5T Sport features, plus:
- 12.3in 3D TFT LCD digital instrument cluster
- Nappa leather seating/quilting, suede headliners and Genuine wood trim
- “Ergo Seat” with 16-way driver’s power-adjustment and extension
- Rear Wheel Steering
- Sport+ Drive Mode/Launch Control
- Surround View Monitor
- Parking Collision Avoidance-Assist Rear
- Remote Smart Parking Assist
- Microfibre suede headliner
- Leather-wrapped upper center console
- Carbon fibre interior
- Power rear and manual rear side sunshades