What is the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L?
The 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L is a 3-row mid-size SUV. And we’re more inclined to say “SUV” than a mere “crossover” since this is a Jeep. This means it offers four-wheel drive systems that are more adept than most at tackling tricky surfaces.
That doesn’t mean clumsy manners on the tarmac, however. If it never went further off-road than a suburban driveway, the Grand Cherokee L would still be an excellent family vehicle with many convenience features, plentiful safety equipment, and an agreeable on-road demeanour.
The 2022 Grand Cherokee L has new technology and equally fresh looks in the second year of its existence. It was the first variant of a new Grand Cherokee generation (the fifth), with the 2-row version making its debut for the 2022 model year.
How much does the Jeep Grand Cherokee L cost?
With six trim levels available, Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices in Canadian dollars for the Grand Cherokee L start at $52,495 for the base Laredo. The standard engine is a 3.6-litre 6-cylinder (output is 293 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque) mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission and Jeep’s Quadra-Trac Active 4x4 System.
Starting with the mid-level $68,745 Overland trim, a 5.7-litre V-8 developing 357 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque is optional ($3,745). The V-6 is fine with regular 87-octane gasoline and gets an 11.3 litres per 100 kilometres city and highway combined estimate; the V8 requires 89-octane and a thirstier 14.1 L/100 km rating.
What’s the Jeep’s interior like?
Seating for six is the norm in the 2022 Grand Cherokee L, with a pair of individual seats in the second row. However, a 3-position bench is a no-cost option for anyone who wants accommodation for seven. The 3rd-row seats split in a 50/50 fashion, with the top trims bringing a power-fold function.
The L’s cargo space is also generous. Drop down the 2nd-row seats for a maximum of 2,396 litres, almost 396 more than the non-L Grand Cherokee.
Upfront is a standard-issue configurable digital driver information display. When the optional 10.1-inch infotainment touchscreen is also installed, the cabin creates an especially pleasing mix of comfort and technology.
The priciest $77,940 Summit Reserve model is naturally the most indulgent, with diamond-stitched leather upholstery and walnut wood trim.
Is the Grand Cherokee L safe?
Safety features include full-speed forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking and pedestrian/cyclist detection, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-path detection, rear parking sensors with automatic braking, lane-keeping assistance, and adaptive cruise control with stop/go.
What’s the 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L’s competition?
Almost every automaker has a 3-row SUV in its lineup. But we'd target the Ford Explorer, GMC Acadia, Honda Pilot, Kia Telluride, Subaru Ascent, and Volkswagen Atlas as the Jeep’s main rivals.
To help you decide which trim level of Jeep's 3-row SUV is just right for you, here's a breakdown of the 2022 Grand Cherokee L’s prices, features, and equipment:
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Laredo - Starting MSRP $52,495 CAD
Key standard Laredo features include:
- 3.6-litre 6-cylinder gas engine
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- Quadra-Trac I Active 4x4 System
- Heated front seats and steering wheel
- Forward Collision Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control/Stop and Go
- Uconnect 5 multimedia centre/8.4-inch touchscreen/Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude - Starting MSRP $55,490 CAD
Adds or replaces Laredo features:
- 20-inch Gloss Black aluminum wheels
- Power liftgate
- Remote start system
- All-black interior/black leather-faced seats
- Black exterior accents
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Limited - Starting MSRP $59,995 CAD
Adds or replaces Altitude features:
- Capri leather-faced seats; heated 1st- and 2nd-row
- Quadra-Trac I 4x4 System/Jeep Selec-Terrain Traction Management System
- Off-road information pages
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland - Starting MSRP $68,745 CAD
Adds or replaces Limited features:
- Available 5.7-litre 8-cylinder gas engine
- Quadra-Lift Air Suspension System/Adaptive Damping
- Quadra-Trac II 4x4 System
- Trailer Tow Package/ Trailer Hitch Zoom
- Uconnect 5 NAV multimedia centre/GPS Navigation/8.4-inch touchscreen
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit - Starting MSRP $73,745 CAD
Adds or replaces Overland features:
- Power 12-way driver and front-passenger seats/ front seat back massage feature
- Uconnect 5 NAV multimedia centre/ 10.1-inch touchscreen
- 360° Surround-View Camera System
- Highway Assist System and Traffic Sign Recognition/Drowsy Driver Detection
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve - Starting MSRP $77,990 CAD
Adds or replaces Summit features:
- McIntosh Premium Audio System/19 speakers
- 21-inch machine cast- aluminum wheels
- Active Noise Control System
- Palermo leather seating/heated and ventilated front and 2nd-row seats
- 2nd-row window shades